- Belenix – an old time distro, on which development has resumed again. Uses RPM.
- napp-it is a project of a ready to use ZFS storage server based on illumian, NexentaCore, OpenIndiana and Solaris with a single-command online installer and a WEB-UI.
- OmniOS - from OmniTI takes a minimalist approach to create a full Illumos-derived operating system. It includes all of the benefits of Illumos, such as zone and KVM virtualization, and is suitable for server use.
- OpenIndiana is a successor to and derived from the original Sun OpenSolaris reference distribution, and is suitable for use on Servers and Desktops.
- SmartOS from Joyent is an open-source illumos distro designed for cloud computing. It includes a port of KVM, allowing other OSes such as Linux and Windows to run natively in SmartOS/illumos virtualized environments.
- DilOS from igork is an open-source illumos distro with dpkg/apt. Can be using on VM and bare metal with text console and SSH logins as development environment with DPKG & IPKG zones.
- Add your distro here!
Distro Comparison Table
|Name||Created/maintained by||Packaging System||Default Userland||Recommended Use||Notes|
|OmniOS||OmniTI||IPS||General purpose - servers|
|OpenIndiana||EveryCity/community||IPS||GNU (Native optional)||General purpose - servers and desktop|
|SmartOS||Joyent||pkgsrc||GNU||Cloud computing hypervisor, appliances|