- DilOS from igork is an open-source illumos distribution with dpkg/apt. Can be using on VM and bare metal with text console and SSH logins as server with DPKG & IPKG & LX (ported from illumos-joyent tree) zones. Also can be using as dilos-xen34-dom0 with PV and HVM guests. SPARC ISO available too for servers with ssh access.
- Dyson is a general-purpose operating system, a Debian derivative using the illumos kernel, libc, and SMF init system.
- napp-it is a project of a ZFS storage server appliance that can be installed atop OmniOS, OpenIndiana or Solaris 11 with a single-command online installer and a WEB-UI. Alternatively, napp-it ToGo is a preconfigured installable image.
- NexentaStor - commercial distribution aimed at storage appliances. Sold by Nexenta Systems.
- OmniOS – (originally from OmniTI but now maintained by the OmniOS Community Edition Association) takes a minimalist approach to create a full Illumosillumos-derived operating system. It includes all of the benefits of Illumosillumos, such as zone and KVM virtualization, and is suitable virtualisation, but also adds Linux branded (lx) zones. It's targeted for server use.
- OpenIndiana is a successor to and derived from the original Sun OpenSolaris reference distribution, and is suitable for use on Servers and Desktops.
SmartOS from Joyent is an open-source illumos distro designed for cloud computing. It includes a port of KVM, allowing other OSes such as Linux and Windows to run natively in SmartOS/illumos virtualized environments.
- Tribblix from Peter Tribble uses SVR4 packaging with the Xfce and many other desktops, providing a retro feel with modern components. Suitable for both desktop and server use, a (more limited) SPARC version is also available.
- v9os is a server-only, IPS-based minimal SPARC distribution.
- XStreamOS is a distribution of the illumos kernel developed and maintained by Sonicle, featuring a customized text install, the ZFS fileystem, Crossbow network architecture, virtualization, zones, and a starting point to contribute and develop the illumos kernel.
- Add your distro here!
|Name||Created/maintained by||Packaging System||Default Userland||Recommended Use||Notes|
|DilOS||Igor Kozhukhov||dpkg/apt||GNU||xen34-dom0, vmware guests, SPARC, etc. General purpose - servers with ssh access|
|EON Storage||Andre Lue||Home/SOHO NAS and all-in-one servers: storage appliances, media streamers, web-servers, VM hosters...|
|illumian||Nexenta||deb/apt||GNU||General purpose - servers|
|napp-it ToGo||napp-it||IPS||Ready to use images for USB sticks on supported hardware with all napp-it add-ons and Web-UI preinstalled|
|OmniOSOmniTI||OmniOS Community Association||IPS||General purpose - servers||Was originally maintained by OmniTI|
|OpenIndiana||EveryCity/community||IPS||GNU (Native optional)||General purpose - servers and desktop|
|OpenSXCE||Martin Bochnig||SVR4||General purpose - SPARC and x86 servers and desktops|
|SmartOS||Joyent||pkgsrc||GNU||Cloud computing hypervisor, appliances|
GNU (NCP2 based)
|General purpose - desktop|
|StormOS Next||-||portage||Native (GNU optional)||General purpose - developer focused|
|Tribblix||Peter Tribble||SVR4||Desktop, but will expand to server|
|v9os||Alexander Eremin||IPS||General purpose - SPARC servers|