- DilOS from igork is an open-source illumos distribution with dpkg/apt. Can be using on VM and bare metal with text console and SSH logins as server with DPKG & IPKG & LX (ported from illumos-joyent tree) zones. Also can be using as dilos-xen34-dom0 with PV and HVM guests. SPARC ISO available too for servers with ssh access.
- Dyson is a general-purpose operating system, a Debian derivative using the illumos kernel, libc, and SMF init system.
- napp-it is a project of a ZFS storage server appliance that can be installed atop OmniOS, OpenIndiana or Solaris 11 with a single-command online installer and a WEB-UI. Alternatively, napp-it ToGo is a preconfigured installable image.
- NexentaStor - commercial distribution aimed at storage appliances. Sold by Nexenta Systems.
- OmniOS (originally from OmniTI but now maintained by the OmniOS Community Edition Association) takes a minimalist approach to create a full illumos-derived operating system. It includes all of the benefits of illumos, such as zone and KVM virtualisation, but also adds Linux branded (lx) zones. It's targeted for server use.
- OpenIndiana is a successor to and derived from the original Sun OpenSolaris reference distribution, and is suitable for use on Servers and Desktops.
SmartOS from Joyent is an open-source illumos distro designed for cloud computing. It includes a port of KVM, allowing other OSes such as Linux and Windows to run natively in SmartOS/illumos virtualized environments.
- Tribblix from Peter Tribble uses SVR4 packaging with the Xfce and many other desktops, providing a retro feel with modern components. Suitable for both desktop and server use, a (more limited) SPARC version is also available.
- v9os is a server-only, IPS-based minimal SPARC distribution.
- XStreamOS is a distribution of the illumos kernel developed and maintained by Sonicle, featuring a customized text install, the ZFS fileystem, Crossbow network architecture, virtualization, zones, and a starting point to contribute and develop the illumos kernel.
- Add your distro here!
|Name||Created/maintained by||Packaging System||Default Userland||Recommended Use||Notes|
|DilOS||Igor Kozhukhov||dpkg/apt||GNU||xen34-dom0, vmware guests, SPARC, etc. General purpose - servers with ssh access|
|EON Storage||Andre Lue||Home/SOHO NAS and all-in-one servers: storage appliances, media streamers, web-servers, VM hosters...|
|illumian||Nexenta||deb/apt||GNU||General purpose - servers|
|napp-it ToGo||napp-it||IPS||Ready to use images for USB sticks on supported hardware with all napp-it add-ons and Web-UI preinstalled|
|OmniOS||OmniOS Community Association||IPS||General purpose - servers||Was originally maintained by OmniTI|
|OpenIndiana||EveryCity/community||IPS||GNU (Native optional)||General purpose - servers and desktop|
|OpenSXCE||Martin Bochnig||SVR4||General purpose - SPARC and x86 servers and desktops|
|SmartOS||Joyent||pkgsrc||GNU||Cloud computing hypervisor, appliances|
GNU (NCP2 based)
|General purpose - desktop|
|StormOS Next||-||portage||Native (GNU optional)||General purpose - developer focused|
|Tribblix||Peter Tribble||SVR4||Desktop, but will expand to server|
|v9os||Alexander Eremin||IPS||General purpose - SPARC servers|